Charles K. Gilbert, Associate of HEA, has over 30 years experience in energy generation and usage in the petroleum refining and power generation industries. His experience includes application, operation, maintenance, and design of process industry equipment. Selected positions and accomplishments:
Energy Program Coordinator, Sunoco, Inc.
- Developed plan to reduce Energy Intensity Index (EII) for Sunoco’s five domestic refineries.
- Participated in facility energy audits at five refineries and two chemical plants which identified $100MM/year in energy conservation ideas
- Consulted with refinery Process Engineers on increased fired heater combustion efficiency Identified $10MM/year of potential fuel reduction.
Principal Engineer, El Paso Energy
- Served as refinery project engineer during design, procurement, construction, commissioning, and operation of $150MM project for replacement of four 900 psig 250Klb/hr power boilers.
Senior Staff Engineer, The Coastal Corporation
- Designed, engineered, and executed several refinery energy conservation and profit improvement capital projects.
- Managed general care of rotating equipment including
- Centrifugal pumps in hydrocarbon and aqueous service (mechanical seal and coupling retrofits, vibration analysis and correction, lubrication problem-solving)
- Steam turbines from 5 to 15,000 BHP (vibration analysis, steam path leak correction, governor/control modification)
- Compressors and fans (vibration analysis and correction)
- Combustion turbines (GE frame 7 start-up, commissioning, and operational debugging)
- Managed major maintenance and capital projects in refinery powerplant
- Supervised all engineering aspects of operation and maintenance of refinery utility generation and distribution systems.
Plant Manager, Eagle Point Cogeneration Partnership
- Operated and maintained 225 MW gas fired combined cycle cogeneration power plant, overseeing a 30 person staff. This facility supplied electrical and thermal energy to a 120MBPD petroleum refinery.
- Managed activities of the Operations Department during completion of construction, testing, start-up, and commissioning of the facility.
Mr. Gilbert holds a BS degree in mechanical engineering from Northeastern University, Boston, MA.