Malcolm E Flint has over 30 years of engineering and management experience in the refining and petrochemical industries, based on his long-term careers first with Gulf Oil Chemicals, then with Sunoco, and as an independent consultant. His experience includes operations, process troubleshooting, process safety, and engineering management. Selected positions and accomplishments:
Operations Manager, Sunoco Refinery, Marcus Hook, PA
- Increased crude throughput from nominal 175 B/SD to 200MB/SD by operational changes and small capital investment
- Increased FCCU throughput from 90 MB/SD to 100MB/SD by operational changes
Refinery Manager, Sunoco Refinery, Marcus Hook, PA
- Managed 175 MB/D integrated refining, petrochemical, lube complex
- Managed integration of adjacent acquired petrochemical complex into the refinery.
Director Engineering Services, Refining Division, Sunoco, Philadelphia, PA
- Managed Sunoco's engineering personnel providing expert technical support to refineries.
- Managed front end engineering, detailed design, and construction for aromatics extraction expansion and solvent change, propylene splitter using heat pump technology, benzene NESHAP controls at 5 refineries, crude vacuum tower revamp
- Implemented partnering agreements with an engineering company (Fluor Daniel) and with a construction management company (MK Ferguson) to handle the large increase in projects
- Managed design and implementation of (OSHA) process safety management (PSM) program throughout Sunoco’s refining system
- Developed startup plan following change to a new catalyst at Sunoco's Philadelphia Refinery Cumene plant. This change reduced time from mechanical completion to on-spec product from previous industry best of 10 days to 5 days and significantly expanded production.
- Led major process incident investigations, identifying root cause(s) and developing recommended corrective actions
- Major release of oily catalyst from FCCU
- Absorber explosion
- Repeated superheater failures at CO Boiler
- Discharge of excessive amounts of oil into waste water treating system
- Serve as a member of the Sunoco corporate refinery and petrochemical PSM audit team
Mr. Flint holds a BS in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University and has completed several management courses.