Richard E. Ware has hands-on experience in the petroleum industry, as an environmental specialist coordinating environmental compliance. He has managed negotiations with federal and state agencies and interaction with plant personnel to resolve environmental problems under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, RCRA, TSCA, CERCLA, SARA, UST, USCG, and DOT regulations. Dick's prior experience is in petroleum product research and development.
Selected major projects include:
- Permitting for Plant Expansion. Responsible for securing all environmental permits required for an $80 million capital project to upgrade lubricant manufacturing. Prepared the CAA application and expedited issuance of the required Pennsylvania DER/USEPA PSD permit for new process heater, which was the critical path item in the project.
- Air Quality at FCC Unit. Responsible for oversight of electrostatic precipitator operation and of continuous monitoring programs for sulfur dioxide and opacity at a 100,000 B/D Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit. Made changes to baghouse that both reduced maintenance costs and eliminated a fugitive dust problem. Compliance at this unit is vital both because of its importance to refinery operations, and because of its high visibility. Dick is certified to read opacity visually.
- SARA Title III Compliance. Responsible for coordinating refinery compliance with SARA Title III Toxic Chemical Release reporting. Provided testimony at USEPA Public Hearing prior to promulgation or regulations; achieved limited success in reducing the amount of information USEPA initially was considering requiring in Form R reports.
- Hazardous Waste. Responsible for RCRA permitting of refinery hazardous waste facilities. Obtained Class I and Class III permit modifications. Obtained RCRA Hazardous Waste Transporter Licenses for refinery used oil transporters. Prepared all related financial assurance, insurance, PPC plans, in accordance with RCRA. There were no non-compliances during 8 years of oversight.
- Training. Developed and implemented the environmental training program for all refinery personnel.
- Product R&D. As a research chemist, developed in-depth knowledge of petroleum products. Awarded 20 patents. Dick was a member of the Sun Company team that developed high density missile fuels for the USAF and USN.
Dick has a BS degree in chemical engineering from Drexel University. He served in the United States Air Force. He is a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, the American Chemical Society, and Rotary International.