William W. Smuck brings wide-ranging process engineering knowledge and experience to clients in the petroleum and petrochemical industries who require in depth expertise in:
- Aromatics extraction
- Sulfur recovery
- Fluid catalytic cracking
- Hydrogen Production
- Gas and liquid treating
- High purity fractionation
His experience includes refining business planning and strategic analysis, conceptual and detailed engineering design of new facilities, plant revamp, and startup and operations troubleshooting. He has carried out many US and Canadian assignments acting as the lead engineer, directed licensor and/or contractor process engineering efforts, working full time in contractor offices and at clients’ sites. He has interfaced with most of the contract engineering companies servicing the industry. Selected positions and projects:
Senior Process Design Engineer
- Served as Sunoco’s corporate expert on sulfur compound removal and conversion processes.
- Carried out process design of many processes and fractionation systems used in petroleum refining with emphasis on downstream revisions for crude unit integration, and for light ends and sulfur recovery
- Developed product handling systems to process refrigerated products being stored in underground granite caverns.
Fluidized Bed Catalytic Cracking (FCC)
- Served as process lead in design basis definition, detailed FCC technology evaluation and selection, and oversight during licensor package development.
- Provided expertise on issues with processing tar sands source gas oils in FCC units.
- Carried out detailed process design of several main fractionators for Exxon licensed FCC packages for construction overseas and in the USA.
- Conducted process evaluation and selection
- Managed process design of a 20,000 BPSD hydrocracker complex including hydrocracker, hydrogen plant, vacuum unit, and sulfur recovery
- Located in contractor’s office in Montreal for duration of detailed design effort
- Assisted in guarantee negotiations, startup, and provided ongoing operations advice.
Polymer Feedstock Purification
- Completed the process design for multistage distillation units used to produce ultra high purity propylene as feed for polypropylene manufacturing.
- Supported the day to day operations of these units as lead process engineer.
Mr. Smuck holds a BS degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Toronto. He is a registered professional engineer (by examination) in the state of Pennsylvania.