Following his graduation with honors from North Carolina State University, with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mr. Neely joined Union Carbide where he spent his entire professional career, prior to joining Becht Engineering. Over the next 50 years, Mr. Neely served in a variety of engineering capacities with a focus on pressure vessel engineering for the wide range of process vessel equipment that comprise large chemical plant projects and operations. Mr. Neely was recognized for his skills and promoted to Corporate
Engineering Fellow in 1976, and had responsibilities for influencing and providing the design methodologies, standards, and practices that were used Corporate-wide for new construction, repair/alteration, and troubleshooting activities.
Upon retirement from Union Carbide, Mr. Neely joined Becht Engineering Co., and continues his work in pressure vessel engineering. He has been a member of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Committee for over 40 years and was Chair of the Task Group that developed PCC-1-2000, “Guidelines for Pressure Boundary Bolted Flange Joint Assembly.” He is currently Chair of the ASME Subcommittee on Flange Joint Assembly that developed the updated and expanded PCC-1-2010 that was published in January, 2010. Mr. Neely is an ASME Life Fellow. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of West Virginia and in the Province of Alberta.
Clyde serves or has served on the following committees:
- Board on Pressure Technology Codes and Standards – Member-at-large (1987 – 2008)
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel Main Committee – Member (1985 – 2008)
- BPV Committee on Pressure Vessels (BPV-VIII) – Member
- Subgroup on General Requirements (BPV-VIII) – Member (Past Chair)
- Subgroup on Toughness (SC-II and BPV-VIII) – Member
- Special Interpretations Committee (BPV-VIII) – Member
- TG Plate Heat Exchangers (BPV-VIII)
- Post Construction Standards Committee (PCC)– Member
- Post Construction Subcommittee on Inspection Planning (PCC) – Member
- Post Construction Subcommittee on Flange Joint Assembly (PCC) – Chair