Senior Engineering Advisor
Mr. Magaletta is an Instrument and Control Systems (I&CS) Engineer with 48 years of international experience with ExxonMobil and Becht Engineering. Throughout his career with ExxonMobil he served in key technical and management positions providing broad based direction, leadership, and supervision of I&CS R&D and capital projects that spanned five generations of I&CS technology. His assignments often involved extensive coordination with control system vendors, EPC Contractors, and local affiliate engineers.
He is a specialist in project planning, development, and execution of large and complex I&CS capital projects.
Key career accomplishments to date have included, but have not been limited to the following:
Technical Roles (41 years)
- Lead a Control Projects Team which provided, over a two decade period, hundreds of I&CS design specifications for Exxon’s global Upstream, Downstream, Chemical, and Pipeline affiliates and for 3rd Party Licensing customers.
- Lead a Planning Study to develop a business case, a technical plan, and an execution strategy which resulted in a decade-long billion dollar program that replaced the legacy IBM / ACS control systems that had been installed in Exxon’s refinery facilities.
- Chaired an Interregional Task Force on Instrument Reliability and Maintenance that developed a strategy for subsequent corporate-wide I&CS reliability and maintenance improvement programs.
- Lead an I&CS Scoping Study covering Low Sulfur Mogas Projects costing over 700 million USD for four Exxon Refineries in Japan (Kawasaki, Wakayama, Sakai, and Chiba).
- Lead I&CS Development Engineer on a 400 million USD Low Sulfur Mogas Project for the Exxon Refinery in Campana, Argentina.
- Lead Scoping Study to replace a legacy Control System at Exxon Refinery in Augusta, Sicily.
- Planned, developed, and oversaw project execution for the first wave of “DDC / Control House Consolidation Projects” including Exxon’s Rotterdam and Hamburg Refineries and the Baton Rouge Chemical Plant (early 1970s).
- Lead several unique user-vendor interactions that leveraged user needs and hands-on equipment evaluations with vendor technology innovations and product developments. This included a field trial of the first Honeywell DCS (aka TDC-2000) at Exxon’s Refinery in Sarnia, Canada.
- Lead I&CS Design and Startup Engineer on: Exxon Antwerp Refinery Expansion project (1974-1976); Exxon Benicia (Grass roots) Refinery Project (1967-1969); Esso-Pappas Refinery and Chemical Plant in Thessaloniki, Greece (1966); and Pipestill Unit at Fawley, England (1966).
- Developed a framework to improve I&CS Cost Estimating methods and tools for use on ExxonMobil capital projects. Developed specific tools as part of the resulting cost estimating improvement program.
Management Roles (7 Years)
- Section Head: Instrumentation, Analyzers, and Computer Control Projects Section.
- Section Head: Project Technical Quality Assurance (TQA) and Global Practices / Design Practices Update Section.
- Section Head: European (London) Regional Office – Regional TQA and Shop Inspection Section.
Mr. Magaletta has a BSEE and MSEE from Newark College of Engineering (NCE) - now known as New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). He has made presentations at numerous internal Exxon technical functions as well as industry symposia and technical conferences including: ISA (International Society of Automation); SAMA (Scientific Apparatus Manufacturers Association); Stevens Institute; the Rijkswaterstaat (the Dutch Water Ministry), and the ARAMCO Automation Conference.