The Becht Team
Scott M. Sayles
Scott M. Sayles has over 46 years of experience as a refinery manager, engineer, and consultant in the renewable fuels, petroleum refining and petrochemical industries. His experience in leading technical due diligence for emerging technologies, alternative feedstock selection, and balancing operability/reliability for assets continues to bring successful projects on line and increase client profitability.
- Owner’s Engineer for an existing hydrocracker revamp to renewable jet service for SAF blending. Projected to return was positive.
- Assessment, design and operations assistance for co-processing seed oil on multiple existing diesel hydrotreaters. Process advice allowed achievement of run length goals and processing targets. Provided guidance on 14C testing to certify renewable diesel content.
- Strategic studies and/or designs for many large projects for Ebullated/Slurry/Fixed Bed Resid Hydrocracking, Aromatics, Reforming, Hydroprocessing, and FCCU.
- Studies and implementation to increase margins, improve yields and reduce operating costs at multiple refinery and petrochemical sites.
Bio refining strategic and studies/designs include:
- Co-processing assessment, design, implementation and operation.
- 100% renewable hydroprocessing facilities design both revamp and brown/green field producing reformulated diesel and reformulated jet suitable for Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) blending.
- Feed pretreatment unit evaluation, technology selection and implementation
- Hydrogen production from gasification, steam methane/gas reforming and electrolysis.
- Wood biomass gasification and Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) or Fisher Tropsch.
- Alternate feeds (Europe Appendix IX, Municipal Waste etc).
- Facility wide carbon intensity and carbon pathways for feedstocks processed or under consideration.
- Carbon capture and sequestration studies.
- Ethanol production and blending.
- Established company-wide reformulated gasoline (RFG) reporting program.
- Texaco R&D for heavy oil upgrading including, gasification, Fisher Tropsch (GTL), ebullated bed hydrocracking and other areas.
Management experience includes all aspects of a fuel refinery, dock, terminal, and pipelines. Corporate process engineering for multiple refineries including bringing Cumene unit, LSD and LSG projects on line and under budget. Operations manager for crude, vacuum, H-Oil™, Texaco gasification, distillate hydrotreating, amine regeneration and sulfur units.
Mr. Sayles holds a B.S. degree from Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI and an M.S. degree from Lamar University, Beaumont, TX; both degrees are in Chemical Engineering. 15 patents and many publications.
- Advisor Resources
- Becht Canada
- Business Administration
- Business Development
- Business Strategy
- Capital Projects
- Corrosion Materials
- Due Diligence
- Fired Heaters
- Heavy Lift
- Inst/Elec Controls
- Maintenance & Turnarounds
- Mechanical Eng
- Mechanical Integrity
- Process Eng