Kenneth John ‘Ken’ Rollins has over 40 years domestic and international experience in chemical engineering contracting and consultancy services in the chemical process industry, as a co-founder and long-time Principal of Northtowne Consulting LLC. He has In-depth knowledge of air pollution control engineering and wastewater treatment technologies. His experience includes green engineering and green chemistry, biomass utilization to fuels and chemicals, and industrial biotechnology. He is a regular presenter on a variety of topics to AIChE’s Continuing Education Program for Professional Engineers. Selected projects include:
Lead Process Engineer, Northtowne Consulting LLC; KBR Inc for Husky Oil, Lima, OH; Crude Oil Flexibility Project
- Develop process design for application of licensed technology to process a more flexible range of crudes. The new sulfur block comprised Sulfur Recovery Unit, Amine Recovery Unit, and Tailgas Unit.
Lead Process Engineer, Northtowne Consulting LLC; Reliance Industries, Mumbai, India; Feedstock Purification Project
- Develop process design for application of licensed feedstock purification technology to manufacture low density polyethylene at the client’s Jamnagar refinery. This fast-track project involved the high temperature, high pressure handling of hazardous materials.
Lead Process/Mechanical Engineer, Northtowne Consulting LLC; Blackgold Biofuels Inc. Philadelphia, PA
- Develop a detailed conceptual design for a biodiesel manufacturing plant, using a novel technology. The scope included developing the process flow sheet and piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs)
- Conduct a process hazard analysis
- Utilize value engineering to reduce the capital cost
- Develop design basis options to enable client to choose a variety of feedstock options and production rates
Supervising Process Engineer, Northtowne Consulting LLC; Rohm & Haas, Bristol, PA
- Supervise client personnel including senior and more junior engineers on numerous projects, executed under an alliance agreement at the client’s corporate offices and at plant locations. Projects included printer ink manufacture, polymers, dyes and general chemicals
- Serve as lead engineer for a project to increase capacity of an existing wastewater treatment plant dealing with water/polymer emulsions
- Serve as lead engineer for the upgrade and retrofit of a plant manufacturing magnesium oxide and hydroxide
Consultant, Northtowne Consulting LLC; PFC Bahamas, Freeport, Grand Bahama
- Conduct air emissions assessment in support of plant-wide upgrade. Characterize Facility wide air emissions and propose needed upgrades to an existing thermal oxidizer. Utilize air dispersion modeling, to achieve acceptable ground level concentrations of organics.
- Produce design for the addition of new filter/dryers in a new building
- Analyze the new batch sheets with new raw materials, and tank farm and solvent recovery operations
Mr. Rollins holds a BS degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Manchester, UK. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (UK), and a Senior Member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE).