Senior Technical Advisor – Catalyst Formulation and Performance
Manoj V. Bhinde has over 30 years experience in Refining and Petrochemicals Processes. His experience includes research, development, conceptual process design, licensing, evaluation, technology transfer, due diligence, and intellectual property management. He has an extensive background in refining/chemical processes involving catalysts, adsorbents, trace contaminants, reactors, complex chemical reactions, challenging process conditions, demonstrations at laboratory and pilot plant scale, scale-up, and process economics. He is an expert in Catalysts for and Reaction Engineering of a variety of processes involving Hydrogenation, Oxidation, Alkylation, Isomerization, Hydroprocessing, Condensation and Fluorination reactions. Technology Specialist/Principal Engineer, Sunoco, Inc., Marcus Hook, PA
- Developed and patented processing options to utilize novel solid acid catalyst for an alkane isomerization process. The work led to further developments and eventual licensing of the technology.
- Provided design input and 24/7 field support to a pilot unit operating on refinery feed for several months to demonstrate solid superacid catalyst performance and life.
- Provided technical and economic analyses, and participated in a team involved in licensing novel solid acid catalysts and related process technology. Led the technology transfer activity. Uncovered an important step, missed by a dozen other team members for 2 years in the catalyst preparation process.
- Sunoco received up-front payments and sales royalties for this technology totaling ~$3MM over past 10 years.
- Conducted technology assessments and developed manufacturing economics and investment return analyses to support "Due Diligence" efforts for potential business acquisitions and Joint Venture partner selection.
- Supervised laboratory and pilot scale process development and conceptual process design.
- Manager of Process Technology and Licensing, Sunoco, Inc., Marcus Hook, PA
- Managed licensing of and technical support for Sunoco’s phenol process technology to overseas licensees, with annual licensing revenues of $2 MM.
- Developed commercial performance targets, setting criteria for “go/no go” decisions.
- Managed interfaces with multiple technology licensors while maintaining appropriate confidentiality relationships concerning complex intellectual properties.
- Proposed and led technical evaluations of process technology options for acetone recycle process using technology from US and overseas licensors.
Dr. Bhinde holds a B.ChE. degree in Chemical Engineering from the Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India, and a Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Delaware, Newark, DE. He is the inventor of 14 U.S. patents (and associated foreign patents) in catalyst compositions and catalytic processes. Dr. Bhinde has presented numerous technical publications and presentations at national meetings.